JetBrains PyCharm is an Integrated Development Environment (IDE) used specifically for writing python programs. It provides code analysis, a graphical debugger, an integrated unit tester and supports web development with Django.
To install PyCharm, keep in mind that first, you have to install the python interpreter. To install python interpreter, refer our previous articles Install Python on Windows in 6 Easy Steps and Install Python on Windows in 6 Easy Steps . If you have already installed python interpreter, then follow the following instructions to install PyCharm.
2. Click on Download Now. It will direct you to the download page of PyCharm.
3. Now you can select any one of the PyCharm versions Community or Professional that you want to download. The Professional version of PyCharm is a paid version with maximum features and ideal for professional development. The community version of PyCharm is a free version. You can use community version as it provided all the basic features. Select your version based on your requirements. Here, we have downloaded community version. Once you click on Download, the setup download will start automatically.
4. When the download gets completed, run the setup (pycharm-community-2016.3.exe). Click on Next.
5. Keep the Destination Folder as it is. It is given C:\Program files(x86)\JetBrains\PyCharm Community Edition 2016.3 by default. If it is not given already, then change it to the above-mentioned directory. Click on Next.
6. Check both the boxes if you want a desktop shortcut. Click on Next.
7. Now it will ask you for the name to be displayed in the start menu. It is entered as JetBrains by default. Click on Install.
8. The installation process will start automatically. Now sit back and wait for the installation to complete.
9. When the installation gets completed, check the Run PyCharm Community Edition box and click Finish.
10. Now if you are new to python, and you are installing PyCharm for the first time, then check the I do not have a previous version of PyCharm or I do not want to import my settings box and click OK.
11. PyCharm will start now. Wait for the process to complete.
12. Now when the welcome window of PyCharm opens, click on Create New Project.
13. Set the location to save the project. The second bar will ask you for the location of python interpreter (that you have already installed). Usually, it will detect the interpreter location. But if it doesn’t do so, manually enter the location of the interpreter. Then click on Create.
14. Click on File > New > Python File. Enter the name of the new file. The new file will open with a clear console. You can now write a program to test it. Write a simple program that prints “Hello World!” on the screen. Write this code to test PyCharm.
Right click anywhere and click on Run. Your program will get executed and the output will be shown in the output window. This shows that you have successfully installed PyCharm and now you are good to go. Good Luck and keep learning how to Code in Python. 😉